It is no surprise that Gawker’s new design is driving people away. The reasons are simple: there is less content on the page and page load time is significantly slower. This is my attempt at redesigning the site to its optimal. Please note, I am designing with the ultimate goal of increased page views in mind. If there are other user happiness success metrics that Gawker has that I am not aware of, it is not addressed with this first stab design.
* Top navigation is clear and consistent between homepage and leaf pages
* The right side increases user stickiness and discovery to similar articles (like YouTube)
* More of the article above the fold
* Overall visual design is less heavy and bulky
* Simpler and added colors to add some fun – more appropriate for a gossip site
* Larger header fonts – using Helvetica
* Modern and simple logo & brand
* Simplified commenting system, using jpComments to increase community engagement
* Occam’s razor is your best friend
Love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.